Assignment: evaluating significance of findings
Assignment: evaluating significance of findings.
Part of your task as a scholar-practitioner is to act as a critical consumer of research and ask informed questions of published material. Sometimes, claims are made that do not match the results of the analysis. Unfortunately, this is why statistics is sometimes unfairly associated with telling lies. These misalignments might not be solely attributable to statistical nonsense, but also “user error.” One of the greatest areas of user error is within the practice of hypothesis testing and interpreting statistical significance. As you continue to consume research, be sure and read everything with a critical eye and call out statements that do not match the results.
For this Assignment, you will examine statistical significance and meaningfulness based on sample statements.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review the Week 5 Scenarios found in this week’s Learning Resources and select two of the four scenarios for this Assignment.
- For this Assignment:
Critically evaluate the two scenarios you selected based upon the following points:
- Critically evaluate the sample size.
- Critically evaluate the statements for meaningfulness.
- Critically evaluate the statements for statistical significance.
- Based on your evaluation, provide an explanation of the implications for social change.
Use proper APA format and citations, and referencing.