Summary and analysis essay (4 paragraphs) due at 11 pm
Summary and analysis essay (4 paragraphs) due at 11 pm.
Summary & Analysis Essay
Select any one of the following articles for this assignment
Assignment Description: The essay requires you to produce a solid one paragraph summary and one paragraph of analysis. Please also include a brief introductory paragraph and a brief conclusion. Use these paragraphs to introduce the reading by presenting the author/title in the correct MLA or APA format as well as the big important ideas and issues that pertain to the essay. The conclusion should restate some of the “big” ideas and end with a powerful and profound statement. Submit through the assignment portal on Canvas
Getting Started: Each Summary & Analysis essay will contain a one paragraph introduction and well as a one paragraph conclusion along with one paragraph of summary and one paragraph of analysis. Total of four paragraphs!
Provide a brief introductory paragraph that presents the author and title and a few major points about the writing. Statements made in introductory paragraphs should be broad and sweeping. Deliver a thesis statement or claim and support with big important reasons.
2nd Paragraph: Summary
- Systematically move through the beginning, middle, and end of the writing and summarize the major points
- Present factual information, don’t offer opinion
- Use the author’s last name…this is called an attributive tag
- Use action verbs such as: describes, explores, examines, highlights, challenges, presents, compares, contradicts…Write in present tense whenever possible
- The sparse use of quotes
3rd Paragraph: Analysis
Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the text by providing analysis. Of course there is some overlap but in general, address and present points of analysis that consider the following:
- What is the major message or thrust of the writing?
- Why is the work important?
- What strategies does the author use to support position?
- Are there any autobiographical elements in the writing?
- Does the author incorporate the use of other scholarly sources?
Create a brief conclusion that restates the thesis and supporting reasons. Deliver bold and sweeping statements. End with a profound statement and call for action!