Nr 507 week 8 final exam (version 2 solutions)
Nr 507 week 8 final exam (version 2 solutions).
1. Question : What term is used to describe a hernial protrusion of a saclike cyst that contains meninges, spinal fluid, and a portion of the spinal cord through a defect in a posterior arch of a vertebra?
2. Question : What provides the best estimate of the functioning of renal tissue?
3. Question : Where are Langerhans cells found?
4. Question : Where in the lung does gas exchange occur?
5. Question : The tonic neck reflex observed in a newborn should no longer be obtainable by:
6. Question : When renin is released, it is capable of which action?
7. Question : The portion of the antigen that is configured for recognition and binding is referred to as what type of determinant?
8. Question : Which sexually transmitted infection frequently coexists with gonorrhea?
9. Question : How is the effectiveness of vitamin B12 therapy measured?
10. Question : Carcinoma refers to abnormal cell proliferation originating from which tissue origin?
11. Question : Which type of microorganism reproduces on the skin?
12. Question : An infant has a crescendo-decrescendo systolic ejection murmur located between the second and third intercostal spaces along the left sternal border. A wide fixed splitting of the second heart sound is also found. These clinical findings are consistent with which congenital heart defect?
13. Question : An infant diagnosed with a small patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) would likely exhibit which symptom?
14. Question : What is the function of erythrocytes?
15. Question : Which terms represent the correct nomenclature for benign and malignant tumors of adipose tissue, respectively?
16. Question : What is the chance with each pregnancy that a child born to two parents with the sickle trait will have sickle cell disease (SCD)?
17. Question : What pulmonary defense mechanism propels a mucous blanket that entraps particles moving toward the oropharynx?
18. Question : The concentration of the final urine is determined by antidiuretic hormone (ADH), which is secreted by which gland?
19. Question : Why is the herpes virus inaccessible to antibodies after the initial infection?
20. Question : Which renal change is found in older adults?
21. Question : Which immunoglobulin is present in blood, saliva, breast milk, and respiratory secretions?
22. Question : Which hormone prompts increased anxiety, vigilance, and arousal during a stress response?
23. Question : Which statement is true regarding maternal antibodies provided to the neonate?
24. Question : The function of the tumor cell marker is to:
25. Question : Which statement is true concerning a fungal infection?
26. Question : Which change is a result of puberty and defends the vagina from infection?
27. Question : The number of persons living with a specific disease at a specific point in time is referred to by which term?
28. Question : Which risk factor for hypertension is influenced by genetic factors and lifestyle?
29. Question : Having ejected a mature ovum, the ovarian follicle develops into a(n):
30. Question : The failure of bones to ossify, resulting in soft bones and skeletal deformity, characterizes which disorder?
31. Question : What is the term that denotes the duration of time or the intensity of pain that a person will endure before outwardly responding?
32. Question : Aldosterone directly increases the reabsorption of:
33. Question : Atrial fibrillation, rheumatic heart disease, and valvular prosthetics are risk factors for which type of stroke?
34. Question : Which clinical manifestations are associated with fibromyalgia?
35. Question : Prolonged high environmental temperatures that produce dehydration, decreased plasma volumes, hypotension, decreased cardiac output, and tachycardia cause which disorder of temperature regulation?
36. Question : What is the leading cause of infertility in women?
37. Question : Which substance is a water-soluble protein hormone?
38. Question : What is the target tissue for prolactin-releasing factor?
39. Question : What is the cause of familial hypercholesterolemia (FH)?
40. Question : Regarding type 2 diabetes, obesity is considered to be what type of risk?
41. Question : Which four-step process correctly describes muscle contraction?
42. Question : Adoption studies have shown that the offspring of an alcoholic parent when raised by nonalcoholic parents have what amount of an increased risk of developing alcoholism?
43. Question : Which hormone stimulates gonads to produce both male and female hormones?
44. Question : A person with 47, XXY karyotype has the genetic disorder resulting in which syndrome?
45. Question : Which would be considered a positive symptom of schizophrenia?
46. Question : What term describes the loss of the comprehension or production of language?
47. Question : Consanguinity refers to the mating of persons:
48. Question : The major sleep center is located in which section of the brain?
49. Question : Which type of ion directly controls the contraction of muscles?
50. Question : Bacteria gain access to the female urinary tract by which means?
51. Question : A criterion for a diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a period of excessive worrying that lasts for at least how many months?
52. Question : What is the first indication of nephrotic syndrome in children?
53. Question : An amniocentesis indicates a neural tube defect when an increase in which protein is evident?
54. Question : What is the risk for the recurrence of autosomal dominant diseases?
55. Question : Which term is used to identify the temporary displacement of two bones causing the bone surfaces to partially lose contact?
56. Question : The tear in a ligament is referred to as a:
57. Question : Why is prolonged diarrhea more severe in children than it is in adults?
58. Question : The BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations increase the risk of which cancer in women?
59. Question : Insulin transports which electrolyte in the cell?
60. Question : What term is used to identify an interlacing bundle of dense, white fibrous tissue that is richly supplied with nerves, blood vessels, and lymphatic vessels?
61. Question : Which of the following is a lipid-soluble hormone?
62. Question : The mucosal secretions of the cervix secrete which immunoglobulin?
63. Question : The sudden apparent arousal in which a child expresses intense fear or another strong emotion while still in a sleep state characterizes which sleep disorder?
64. Question : What is the basic structural unit in compact bone?
65. Question : Parkinson disease is a degenerative disorder of the brain’s:
66. Question : Which pain theory proposes that a balance of impulses conducted from the spinal cord to the higher centers in the central nervous system (CNS) modulates the transmission of pain?
67. Question : Saliva contains which immunoglobulin (Ig)?
68. Question : What type of fracture occurs at a site of a preexisting bone abnormality and is a result of a force that would not normally cause a fracture?
69. Question : An infant suddenly develops abdominal pain, becomes irritable (colicky), and draws up the knees. Vomiting occurs soon afterward. The mother reports that the infant passed a normal stool, followed by one that looked like currant jelly. Based on these data, which disorder does the nurse suspect?
70. Question : In 95% of children of delayed puberty, the problem is caused by:
71. Question : Which characteristic is true of type II (white fast-motor) muscle fibers?
72. Question : Neurofibrillary tangles characterize which neurologic disorder?
73. Question : Which hormone triggers uterine contractions?
74. Question : How does the release (increase) of epinephrine raise body temperature?
75. Question : Which hormone is linked to an increase in appetite during puberty?