Week 2 assignment contemporary leadership
Week 2 assignment contemporary leadership.
Write a three to four page paper (not including the title and reference pages) about a contemporary leadership situation that is familiar to you.
Your paper needs to:
• Identify the development level and style demonstrated in the situation.
• Support your position with specific examples.
• Explain whether the action taken was appropriate and effective.
• Determine and discuss if the situational leadership approach would be useful in understanding the leadership applied to the situation.
In addition to the requirements above, your paper:
• Must be double-spaced and 12 point font
• Must be formatted according to APA style
• Must include an introductory paragraph with a thesis statement
• Must conclude with a restatement of the thesis and a conclusion paragraph
• Must reference at least two scholarly resources
• Must include a reference page written in APA format
Week two lecture
Although we only have two chapters this week, they are filled with a lot of great information. One interesting element in Chapter 4 was the Leadership Grid, which is illustrated in Figure 4.1. There are five different types of leaderships illustrated on this grid.
• Impoverished Management – “1,1 style is representative of a leader who is unconcerned with both the task and interpersonal relationships” (Northouse, 2013, p. 80).
• Middle of the Road Management – “5,5 style describes leaders who are compromisers, who have an intermediate concern for the task and an intermediate concern for the people who do the task” (2013, p. 81).
• Team Management – “9,9 style places a strong emphasis on both tasks and interpersonal relationships. It promotes participation and teamwork” (2013, p. 81).
• Authority Compliance – “9,1 style of leadership places heavy emphasis on task and job requirements and less emphasis on people expect to the extent that people are tools for getting the job done” (2013, p. 79).
• Country Club Management – “1,9 style represents a low concern for task accomplishment couples with high concern for interpersonal relationships” (2013, p. 79).
Take a minute and think about the people you work with; what type of leadership do they illustrate? What about your own leadership style; what type do you feel best matches your leadership type?
In Chapter 5 the focus was on situational leadership. This is a very common term that basically states that the leader leads based on any given situation. When there is a crisis with a company, the manner in which the company handles the situation would be considered situational leadership.
Think back to the British Petroleum (BP) oil spill in the gulf. They have been working with the locals and many other agencies to manage the situation and take care of what needs to be taken care of. This is an example of situational leadership.
Figure 5.1 in the required text illustrates situational leadership. I would also like to encourage you all to review the following article that provides great insight into situational leadership.
The Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership® Theory (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_44.htm)
Below are two videos that also illustrate how situational leadership works.
Situational Leadership Types: Examples from Film (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-YXqlTq7IE)
This next video clip is from a popular movie “The Blind Side,” that clearly illustrates a great example of situational leadership.
The Blind Side (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (http://youtu.be/Nfd4slZX3IU)
Forbes School of Business Faculty
BERBATOVyou4It (2010, February 24). The blind side best scene (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. [Video file]. Retrieved from http://youtu.be/Nfd4slZX3IU
Northouse, P. (2013). Leadership theory and practice (6th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
The Hersey Blanchard situational leadership theory (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_44.htm
Vara, C. (2015, Oct 23). Situational Leadership Types: Examples from Film (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. [Video file]. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-YXqlTq7IE
Northouse, P. (2013). Leadership theory and practice (6th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. ISBN: 9781452203409.
The following article below can be retrieved from the ProQuest database.
Marques, J. (2008, August). Marques, J. (2008, August). The five steps toward awakened leadership. Performance Improvement, 47(7), 20-23.